Our Cells / Committees
Sexual Harassment at workplace is a violation of women's right to gender equality, life and liberty. It creates an insecure and hostile work environment, which discourages women's participation in work, thereby adversely affecting their economic empowerment and the goal of inclusive growth.
The Indian Parliament passed the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Bill in the Lok Sabha on 3rd September 2012 and Rajya Sabha on 26th February 2013. The Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013 was made effective on 23rd April 2013 by way of publication in the Gazette of India.
The Ministry of Women and Child Development has notified the Sexual Harassment at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013 (Act) and the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Rules, 2013 (Rules). As per the notification, the Act has come into force with effect from December 9, 2013.
WHAT CONSTITUTES SEXUAL HARASSMENT ?
- Circumstances of promise (implied or explicit) of preferential treatment in employment;
- Threat of detrimental treatment in employment;
- Threat about employment (present or future);
- Creating an intimidating or offensive or hostile work environment, or interference with work for the above;
- Humiliating treatment that may affect the lady employee's health or safety
- Unwelcome sexually determined behaviour (whether directly or by implication) such as physical contact and advances,
- Demand or request for sexual favours, sexually coloured remarks, showing pornography,
- Any other unwelcome physical verbal or non-verbal conduct of sexual nature.
INTERNAL COMPLAINTS COMMITTEE
UKA TARSADIA UNIVERSITY (UTU) is committed to providing for all women who fall within its jurisdiction including its academic, non-academic staff and students, a place of work and study, free from sexual harassment, intimidation and exploitation. Every woman shall have a right to work in an environment free from any form of Sexual Harassment. The UTU has constituted an INTERNAL COMPLAINTS COMMITTEE with the following
- To comply with the provisions of the Sexual Harassment at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013 (Act) and to develop and implement a policy against sexual harassment of women at the UTU.
- To uphold Women's Right to Protection against Sexual Harassment and for the prevention and redressal of sexual harassment of women.
- To evolve a permanent mechanism for the prevention, prohibition and redressal of sexual harassment of women at UTU.
- To actively promote a social, physical and psychological environment that will raise awareness about and deter acts of sexual harassment of women.
- To undertake all necessary and reasonable steps including the constitution of appropriate committees for purposes of gender sensitization and to conduct enquiries into complaints of sexual harassment.
The UTU Internal Complaints Committee consists of members of the faculty, administration staff, service staff and student representatives.
A written complaint may be addressed to the Convener of the Committee. If the complaint is made to the Director or any of the Committee members, they may forward it to the Convener of the Committee Against Sexual Harassment.
|Name||Department||Contact No.||E-mail Id|
|Dr. Shree Mishra (Chair Person)||Department of Physicsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ms. Priyanka Agrawal||Department of Commerceemail@example.com|
|Dr. Jitesh Parmar||UTUfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ms. Seema Lad||Faculty, CGPITemail@example.com|
|Ms. Divya Gadaria||BVPfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ms. Bhumika R Patel||BMIITemail@example.com|
|Ms. Kinjal Mistree||Faculty, CGPITfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ms. Jaishree Tailor||SRIMCAemail@example.com|
|Ms. Shruti Patel||MBNCfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ms. Poonam Shah||SRCPemail@example.com|
|Ms. Sonia Pandey||MPCfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Dipali Sadhukhan||Dept.Of Chemistryemail@example.com|
|Ms. Ami Desai||RBSAfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ms. Namrata Mishra||Department of Mathematicsemail@example.com|
|Ms. Aarati Joshi||B.V.Patel Inst.of BMC&ITfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Abhitosh Kedia||Department of Physicsemail@example.com|
|Ms. Rozy Patel||The Center of Humanities and Developmentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr Rushabh Shah||CGBIBTemail@example.com|
|Shri Nalin Joshi||Lawyer||9428244226||-|
|Updated On 06/11/2017|
The person who becomes victim of any act of sexual harassment narrated in Paragraph-1 should report to the chairperson of the complaint committee. The chairperson will also work as counselor in this regard.
The committee will process individual grievances concerning any kind of harassment including sexual in the Uka Tarsadia University and its institutions and take suitable actions in the manner and mode provided as under:
- a. Any women employee or girl student will file a complaint concerning any sexual harassment against a boy student or a male officer or an employee
- b. Such a complaint may either be oral or in writing.
- c. Any complaint in writing has to be signed by the person making the complaint.
- d. If the complaint is oral, the same shall be put in writing (in detail) by the counselor and will read out to the complainant and will not be acted upon till the same is signed by the complainant.
- e. The complainant shall be afforded full secrecy at each stage.
- f. The chairperson will convene a meeting of the committee at the earliest but within a period of one week from the date of such complaint.
- g. Advance intimation shall be given to the complainant about the meeting and at the first meeting, the complainant shall be heard. The committee shall, then decide whether the complainant deserves to be proceeded with depending on the evidence and presentation made before it.
- h. In case the committee decides to proceed with the complaint, the wishes of the complainant shall be ascertained and if the complainant wishes that a warning would suffice then the alleged offender shall be called to the meeting, heard and if so satisfied that a warning is just and proper, he may be warned about his behavior. The matter shall be treated as concluded and disposed of with a note to that effect made in the complaint register.
- i. In case the complainant requests that the complaint should be proceeded with beyond a mere warning, the same be proceeded after observing law of natural justice and full opportunity should be given to present their version to both the concerned parties.
- j. Based on the inquiry made by the complaint committee and also the presentation and evidences presented, the committee will give its final report including the recommendations of the penalty to be imposed to the Provost (UTU) of the University.
Penalties: The penalties may be minor or major depending upon the nature of guilt for the employees and the students as the case may be as per the Discipline Appeal Rules and Maintenance of Discipline of the Students on the campus respectively.
All Heads of the Institution, Heads of the Department and the Section Heads are here by requested to kindly bring this to the notice of all the employees and students of the Institutions/ Sections concerned.