FAQs for Department of Chemistry
Chemistry is the study of substances, their makeup and applications. In fact it is the study of all materials and is vital to every aspect of our lives.
The department offers both graduate (B. Sc.) and post graduate (M. Sc.) programs. It offers M.Sc. program in Organic Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry.
Prof. (Dr.) K. R. Desai, Director, Department of Chemistry
M. Sc., Ph. D., D. Sc, F.I.C., F.E.C.S.I, A.R.S.C. (London)
He has 40 year of teaching experience and 114 students has obtained Ph.D. & M.Phil. degree under his guidance. He has published more than 350 research papers in national & international journal with two Indian patents. He has written six books, one book on green chemistry Microwave reactions and two books on Industrial plan processes and three books on pure chemistry.
- For B.Sc (Chemistry): http://utu.ac.in/AdmissionBsc(Chemistry).html
- For M.Sc (Organic Chemistry): http://utu.ac.in/AdmissionMsc(OC).html
- For M.Sc (Pharmaceutical Chemistry): http://utu.ac.in/AdmissionMsc(PC).html
- For M.Sc (Analytical Chemistry): http://utu.ac.in/CurriculumMsc(AC).html
- For M.Sc (Industrial Chemistry): http://utu.ac.in/CurriculumMsc(IC).html
Spot admission facility is provided to students having more than 50% or equivalent.
- Pursuing research in frontier and interdisciplinary sciences.
- Well equipped ultra modern laboratories with latest Instruments in campus.
- University Placement Cell.
- State of art infrastructural facility to work on Pharmaceutical, Pharmaceutics including Organic and Medicinal chemistry.
- Presentation Skills Program
- Group Discussion Practice
- Sophisticated instrumentation facilities.
- Advanced Library.
- Computer lab including full Wi-fi Internet connectivity all over the campus.
- Presentation in Conferences/ Seminars/ Symposia by students.
South Gujarat region has Asia's biggest industrial chemical zone at Ankleswar and Vapi, so plenty of opportunities are there in such chemical industries., viz. in Quality Assurance, Quality Control, Research & Development, Production departments of these industries, above all also in Government & Private Research laboratories. Similarly, one can also proceed further for higher studies viz. Ph.D.
Chemical sector of India is one of the major industries in the Indian economy. It is estimated to be worth around US$ 35 billion, which is almost 3% of the country's GDP. The investment in chemical sector of India is around US$ 60 billion. The chemical sector generates employment of about 1 million. The chemical sector of India provides around 13-14% of total exports and its total imports are about 8-9%. It is ranked 12th globally and 3rd in Asia. The emergence of chemiinformatics and nanotechnology leads to very bright future of the chemical science.
Chemistry students and chemical engineers finds numerous career opportunities in industries (Textiles, petroleum, rubber, plastics, agricultural products, paper, pharmaceutical, food, fertilizers, paints, cosmetics, aromatic products, pulp, metal, cement and many more.), public works departments ( water treatment, sanitary and sewage treatment plants),marketing and sales (chemicals and its products), military(food scientist, ordinance factory), consultancy firms, patent firms, Industrial R&D and Production departments, teaching field (Schools/colleges/Universities), Central and state government (government chemical industries, pharmaceutical industries, factories, petroleum companies, ISRO, DRDO, BARC, Public Services (UPSC and other State Public Civil services), pharmaceuticals, oceanography, forensic science, biotechnology, geochemistry, etc.
- Analytical chemist
- Forensic scientist
- Research scientist (physical sciences)
- Scientific journalist
- Patent law officer.
- Quality controller
- Laboratory assistant
- Research associate/Research assistant
- Innovative curriculum.
- Syllabus of all courses is based on NET, SLET, and moreover, it was also designed by considering the industrial importance and suggestions from industrial experts.
- Dissertation in last semester, where minor research project will be assigned to student by faculty or industrial person, and will have to submit dissertation thesis.
- 100% placement opportunities.
- Invited talks by Eminent Professors from various Universities, Seminars, Workshops, Conferences, Personality Development Programmes etc.
- International Level Facilities, like wiâ€fi campus, digital library, wellâ€equipped laboratories having instruments like UV Spectrophotometer, HPLC, GC, FTIR, Dissolution apparatus, Disintegration, spray dryer etc.
- Compulsory training on all above instruments
- Organization as well as participation in National & International conferences, Workshops Seminars etc.
- Expert lectures by eminent speakers from industry on relevant subject. Study tours, industrial tours & training.
Our department has highly qualified and experienced staff. Prof. K.R. Desai has been with the Department of Chemistry, VNSGU as Head for 30 years. We have M. Phil, Ph.D. teaching staff. Many of our younger faculties are pursuing Ph.D. as well. The faculties with Ph.D. are involved in innovative research projects. Please refer http://utu.ac.in/dchemistry/staff.html
Our curriculum is designed in such a way that, from the 1st semester of M.Sc onwards every student has to conduct project. In the final semester they have to undergo for dissertation. We encourage and train M. Sc students to write review articles and research papers.
- Sun Pharma, Baroda
- Sterling Biotech Ltd., Baroda
- Firmenich Aromatics Production India Pvt. Ltd., Bharuch.
- Lupin Ltd., Ankleshwar
- Glenmark Pharmaceutical Pvt. Ltd., Ankleshwar
- Kanoria Chemicals & Industries Ltd., Ankleshwar.
- Tatvachintan Pharma Chem Pvt. Ltd., Ankleshwar
- Pesticide India Ltd., Panoli.
- Atul Ltd., Atul
- Spectrum Dyes and Chemical Pvt. Ltd., Surat
- Virdev Intermediate Pvt. Ltd., Surat
- Ami Organic Pvt. Ltd., Surat
- Nutan Dye Chem, Surat
- Mahavir Synthesis Pvt. Ltd., Surat
- Centre of Excellence (COE-Lab)., Vapi.
- Chemiesynth Organic Pvt. Ltd., Vapi.
- Sidmak Laboratories India Pvt. Ltd., Valsad.
- Macleods Pharmaceutical Ltd., Daman
- GUFIC Biosciences Ltd., Navsari.
- Arihantanam life care Ltd., Sarigam
- Vapi Care Pharma Pvt. Ltd., Vapi
- Praveen Laboratories, Jolva
- Dupen Laboratories, Vapi
- Meghmani Organic Ltd., Anklweshwar
In the year 2012-13, 95% students were placed in different industries and academics. Similarly for the year 2013-14, 97% students were placed in different industries and academics.
For Further informations: http://www.utu.ac.in/dchemistry/index.html
|Dr. J. P. Raval||+91 9427946892|
|Mr. Bhavin Patel||+91 9898679906|
|Mr. Anand Patel||+91 9998579879|